National Diaper Need Awareness Week (September 25-October 1), which is organized by the National Diaper Bank Network, is here once again, and organizations dedicated to reducing diaper need all over the country are marking the occasion with diaper drives, events, awareness campaigns, and recognition from local officials. Here in Rhode Island, Governor Gina Raimondo and Providence Mayor Jorge Elorza have officially declared Diaper Need Awareness Week in statewide and in our capital city (see proclamations at left). As the only organization in Rhode Island dedicated to reducing diaper need, and the only statewide diaper bank in the country, we believe it’s important for Rhode Island to participate in this nationwide effort to solve a problem that affects an estimated 1 in 3 US families.
What can you do to help reduce diaper need in Rhode Island and nationwide? Here are 6 simple, easy steps you can take to make a difference:
1. Make a donation locally: Every dollar donated to Project Undercover buys approximately 10 diapers for a Rhode Island family that desperately needs them. We are an all-volunteer, federally recognized 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that is GuideStar Gold rated. Our low overhead and strong buying power mean that every donation to Project Undercover goes a long way towards helping local children in need. Click here to donate
2. Make a donation to national hurricane relief efforts: A brutal hurricane season has left communities in Texas, Florida, Puerto Rico, and many other places devastated. While providing food, clothing, and shelter are the priorities, we mustn’t forget that other basic daily necessities are in equally short supply, including diapers. The National Diaper Bank Network is organizing an effort to support diaper banks in the communities most affected by the disasters. Click here to donate
3. Attend our fall fundraiser: On Thursday, October 5 from 5-8pm, we will be hosting our Fall Fundraiser at O’Brien’s Pub in Newport. Enjoy an evening of food, drink, music, and fall-themed raffle prizes with a special performance from 2015 Rhode Show Big Break winner Kevin Herchen. Tickets are only $25, making it a fun and affordable way to help. Click here to buy tickets
4. Organize a diaper drive: Collecting items such as diapers, children’s socks and underwear, and baby wipes through your business, school, church, community group, sports league, or any other group of people that wants to help is a simple, effective way to reduce diaper need in Rhode Island. Every item collected will go directly to families who need them most through one of our two-dozen partner agencies throughout the state. Our Diaper Drive Kit makes it easy for you to organize one in your community, or watch this video from the National Diaper Bank Network to see how simple it is. Click here to download our Diaper Drive Kit
5. Donate through Amazon Smile: If you’re a frequent online shopper, you can also choose to donate a portion of your purchases to Project Undercover through the Amazon Smile program. Click here to get started
6. Spread the word: One of the key elements of National Diaper Need Awareness Week is awareness. Many people do not realize either the extent of the need throughout Rhode Island or how easy it is to help. Please share this post on social media, post and tweet about #DiaperNeed, and tell your family, friends, and colleagues about Project Undercover. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter